We always hear about the importance of having interests outside of work, school and so on, but why should we do this? Here are five benefits of having hobbies!
- Hobbies help you structure your time – have you heard the saying, "Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion."? If you have an unscheduled evening, you might find yourself still working on that work project until late into the night. But if you had a basketball game scheduled that day, you would likely get those tasks done far more quickly. So, hobbies seem to create more timeby encouraging better efficiency.
- Hobbies offer a new challenge – life can become routine and you find yourself doing the same thing over and over again. Hobbies break this up and challenge you in new ways, giving you something different from work, something really positive. You might discover some new things about yourself too!
- Hobbies expand your social circle - even if you engage in a solo activity, like sketching, you are exposing yourself to a new world of people, people who find the same things enjoyable, just as you do. That way you make new connections and find a wider group of like-minded people who share your interests.
- Hobbies help with stress management – we all experience stress in different ways daily, like a rough day at work where the boss berated us! While we might come home and watch TV as a distraction, actually, having a hobby reminds us of other parts of ourselves that are just as important, So we aren’t just employees, we can be a photographer, an artist or an athlete. Hobbies remind us that our eggs aren't all in one basket!
- Hobbies have physical health benefits - Research has found that engaging in enjoyable activities during down time is associated with lower blood pressure, lower cortisol, better body mass index, higher mental state levels and lower levels of depression. Hobbies are good for us all, mind and body.
Will you be taking up a new hobby, if you haven’t already? Let us know what you’re doing…